Cancer Perceptions

This is a blog post was started a few years ago and put on the back burner.  Enjoy.


Written on July 31, 2017

Facebook reminds us about our past.  Yesterday, it reminded me that last year I posted this photo with the caption "What a difference a year makes":


The two photos at the top were taken two years ago while I was resting in bed recovering from a chemo session with my daytime caregiver and my evening caregiver.  The photo at the bottom, which was one year later, was taken at the Calvert Marine Museum.  I thought I was "getting stronger every day" and I did seem to be improving.  My hair was growing back.  I had more energy and stamina.  Heck, to not deal with the parking, we walked from the Holiday Inn to the concert.  We weren't alone in that, lots of people did.  I wouldn't be able to do that today.  These days, I walk with a cane.  It helps me keep my balance.  When I started using it, I got lots of surprised looks and questions about it from family and friends.  I had been improving.  Treatment was over.  Did I have a relapse?  Was the cancer back?

When I was diagnosed with cancer, I had the perception that I was going to die soon.  I'm still here.

I had always thought "diagnose/treat/back to normal".  More on that below.

When I was done with chemo, I thought, even though I wouldn't be "back to normal", I would adjust to a "new normal".  I'm finding that normal changes every day. 

Below are some common perceptions that we have about cancer, and the real story.


Perception:  Diagnosis, chemo/surgery/radiation, done and back to normal.
Reality:  There is no "back to normal".  We just keep adjusting as our symptoms and medicinal side effects change. 

Perception:  A Stage IV diagnosis means imminent death.
Reality: People can live for a long time with a Stage IV diagnosis.  I know one woman in particular who has lived with a Stage IV diagnosis for over twenty years.

Perception: You don't look sick.
Reality: I may look well, but I'm have a terminal illness and I feel like crap.  I may not look sick, but I are sick -- I am slowly dying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃