Terminal Musings -- Streamlining

A while ago, I applied for assistance from Rebuilding Charles County/Christmas in April to have work done around the house.  They are scheduled to come over this coming Monday (MLK day of service) to start the drywall patching process, and the organize the garage in anticipation of wheelchair ramp improvements.  They, hopefully, will be coming back in the future to do a bit more.

One of the places that needs drywall patching is in my bedroom closet.  So, in anticipation of the work being done, I have been slowly taking everything out of the closet.  We have a portable clothes rack, which is holding just about half of what was in the closet.  The other half has been in the hard-to-access part of the closet since I moved into the bedroom on the main floor of the house.  Instead of buying another portable clothing rack, I think I will systematically go through these pieces.  I haven't worn these things in almost four years; don't think there's much of a chance that I will.  So, I think it's time for the give-away box and the trash bag.  Yes, it will take a bit longer to move these things out of the closet, but I think I can do it by Monday (today's just Wednesday).


As I have been looking at these pieces of clothing that I plan to give away, it made me a bit melancholy.  These pieces of clothing that I chose; I picked them out.  It seems sad to give them away.  You know, it's not even actually the giving away of each of these, it's the streamlining and downsizing that I've found myself doing.  I am acutely aware that I am not long for this earth.  Even if I have many years left, I'm a few weeks shy of my 54th birthday.  My life is at the very least more than half over.  It's past time to stop keeping things that "I might wear one day" (how many times have you heard yourself say that?).  It's time to be realistic -- those items of clothing in the back of my closet aren't going to be worn by me.  It's time they go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill and to someone who will wear them.  Sure, there are things I will keep.  The t-shirts from the Rick Springfield and Paul McCartney concerts.  My Stage IV Stampede t-shirts.  Some other pieces that have special meaning.

I've done this before, with my yarn -- Why I Gave Away My Yarn.  I'm sure I'll do it again, with other things; I've been eyeing a few pairs of earrings that I haven't worn in a very long time.  I guess that's next.

I really can't seem to articulate my feelings about this.  It's kind of like nesting when you're pregnant.  It's the getting ready.  I just don't really like what I'm getting ready for....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃