Music

We all know that music can have an impact on our lives -- on our emotions, on how we feel.  A song can change your mood in a heartbeat.  I use music to help me to fall asleep at night, to calm my nerves, to energize me, to give me strength.  Today I'd like to tell you about three songs that have had an impact on me.

A few years ago, I went on a road trip with my son.  As we were driving, a medley of songs came on the radio.  He told me then that these songs reminded him about what I had been going through, was then going through, and would be going through in the future.  I've grouped them into a YouTube playlist here if you'd like to listen as you read.  All songs are by Rascal Flatts.

The first song, Skin (Sarabeth) tells the story about how it feels to learn of a cancer diagnosis, of dealing with the side effects of the chemo, and how family and friends are so incredibly supportive.

The second song, Feels Like Today, reminds me of the end of harsh treatment, and the promise of better days to come, which is where I was during that road trip.  There's a quote that I have near my desk at work:  "Just when the caterpillar thought her life was over ... she began to fly."  I think this quote goes very nicely with the message of the song.

The third song, I'm Movin' On, marks the end of the harsh treatment phase of my illness, and the beginning of, well, not necessarily getting back to my old life, but adjusting to the every changing "new normal" as people like to call it.  Closing the chapter of the worst summer of my life, and beginning the last chapters of my life, surrounded by loving family and friends.

Music is amazing.  In addition to the emotions caused by all of the above, whenever I listen to this playlist, I recall fondly that road trip we took, and the fun we had. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃