Gym -- Week 1 Recap

Monday -- If you haven't already, read about Day 1 here.


Tuesday -- Man, was I sore when I woke up this morning!  It was good, though!  I went down to the gym after breakfast.  My goal was five minutes on the recumbent bike.  I downloaded a new book on my Overdrive app hoping to distract myself from the timer on the bike and it worked.  I ended up going for 30 minutes!  My legs were a little wonky for the rest of the day; thank goodness for the walker, lol.  After taking an afternoon nap (inactivity) my legs were even more sore than earlier.  I needed to use the lift chair (recliner) for the day as I had trouble standing from a sitting position.  I know that the soreness will wane over time.  Not stopping.


Wednesday -- Not so sore upon waking this morning.  Yay!  Managed to up my game on the recumbent bike from the 30 minutes yesterday to 45 minutes today.  I'm sure it looked weird, but I took my knitting with me.  I have a book downloaded on my phone, there are tv screens on the wall, but I need all the distraction from the time that I can have, lol.  One older gentleman stopped and commented with a smile.  I'm not sure what anyone else thought.  ;)


Thursday -- Not sore at all this morning!  Wow!  Today's workout was different from Monday's.  There was more arm work, which was more difficult for me.  After my mastectomy and lymph node removal in September of 2015, I used my left arm very little, and of course the right arm goes along with it.  So very little upper body strength that I can't lift one of the student chairs at the high school I work at.  Two of the exercises we did today I couldn't finish, and on one exercise, Julie had to help me back up to a standing position.  Goals.  All in all, I think it went well.  After training with Julie, I did another 40 minutes on the recumbent bike.  I feel good!  Already, at 11:30am, I have six bottles of water down, and my calorie intake is less than the calories I've burned so far today.  That has never, ever, happened before.  I know it will change as soon as I eat lunch, but still!




Friday -- Because I had been to the gym four days this week, which was my goal, and because I had professional development for work this morning, the plan was for me to walk outside or get on the recumbent bike at home.  I managed to do that at around 5pm when I'm usually napping.  Are changes happening already?!  Here's hoping!  I managed 30 minutes on the bike at home.  That's a big deal because it seems harder for me than the one at the gym.  When I started last Friday, before I joined the gym, I could only manage 5 minutes at a time.  7pm now -- time for meds and bed.

Saturday -- My plan was to head down the gym to get on the bike this morning after running an errand, but my husband ended up not working his usual Saturday so ran the errand for me.  And, because I woke up later than usual after having stayed awake past midnight last night finishing a book (I haven't done that in ages!), I decided to stick around the house and ride the bike I have here.  I ended up working on decluttering the sunroom instead.  I didn't do a traditional exercise today but I did move more than I have in a very long time, and kept it up past my usual nap time.  I think that's progress.

Sunday -- My husband and I walked in the morning at Port Tobacco River Park.  I'm not sure of the distance, but it was a good walk.


Monday morning weigh-in shows a one pound loss.  I really think it would have shown a gain if I hadn't vomited up my lunch yesterday, resulting in an ER visit and no dinner (separate blog post on that one).  One one hand, I was expecting more, this being my first week; you know, the water weight big loss when you start.  On the other hand, my eating has not be the best.  I'm easing in to this.  As my oncologist says -- not too many changes at once.  I was afraid that if I went really strict with exercising and eating at the same time I would quit before my desired results, which has happened so many times in the past.  So this coming week, my second week, I will up my game with more healthful eating.  What's more important are the . . .

Non-scale victories
Friday and Saturday, no nap, even after being a little more active than usual.
Saturday working on decluttering; had a rest a lot, but got a lot accomplished.
I'm feeling better.


Read next:  Gym -- Week 2 Recap


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving 🦃

"How Do You Do It?!"