Fair Fail

It's fair weekend where I live.  The county fair has always been a big deal here.  The schools are closed for students on the Friday of fair weekend; kids get in free on Fair Day.  Today, Saturday, was a really nice day.  Historically, going to the fair means muddy shoes; it's unusual when it doesn't rain a day or two before the fair opens, and I remember once or twice when it had to be shut down for a Hurricane.  So, with the good weather today, and my post cancer diagnosis seize the day attitude, I talked my husband and 15 year old into going with me (the 19 year old was already there, working).

I was feeling good.  I had a blog post forming in my mind.  It was going to say things like, "Get outside when the weather's good, get some fresh air!" and "Have fun when the opportunity arises" and "Eat the fried oreos, ride the fun rides!" and the like.  I knew I wasn't going to able to ride my all time favorite ride but I was kind of okay with that.  That's one reason I think it important to get out there and have fun.  The day is going to come when you can't do it anymore.  That day has come for me and my friend, The Scrambler. Now, I don't go to the fair every year, but when I do, I always ride the Scrambler.  This is the first year I didn't.

So, we walked from the entrance gate to where the food trucks were, got the stuffed ham sandwiches and settled in at a picnic bench for lunch.  Afterward, we walked once around the fairway, and that was it.  I couldn't walk anymore.  We sat down under the big white tent where a gentleman was singing and playing a guitar.  I was feeling a little lightheaded, a little queasy, and my legs just weren't going to take me all the way out to the van.  My 19 year old son, who was there with the Charles County Explorers, arranged a golf cart to take us out.

We didn't go through the livestock buildings like we ususally do.  We didn't go through the commercial buildings like we usually do.  We didn't go through the buildings to see the items that had been submitted and judged like we usually do.  We didn't stay for the pig races like we usually do.  We didn't have the fried oreos.  :(

So, the message is really the same.  Seize the day.  Have fun.  Don't float through life -- live it.  When the fair comes to town --- go, and enjoy it.  As we were leaving the fair today, I was thinking about how I had been coming to the fair ever since I can remember.  I remember going on Saturday night as a teenager, and riding all the rides with my friends.  Now I'm my parents' age when I was a teenager attending the fair, and my kids are the teenagers.  Live your life; it'll be behind you before you know it.  Don't blink.  ...and eat the fried oreos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃