Treadmill Catch-22

Reason 1 to get on the treadmill:  Every time I see my cardiologist, she tells me she wants me to do some cardio, not just walking slowly and steadily, but interval -- alternating walking and running.  I can do that.  I've done that before.  I'm familiar with the Couch25K app.  Many times have I started ... and many times have I stopped, and gone back to old habits.  Now, my motivation here is to keep my heart healthy.  Believe it or not, my heart is healthy.  I have echocardiograms every three months that say so.  I have echocardiograms every three months because one of the maintenance medications I'm on is known to cause heart problems.  I'll be on this medication for the rest of my life, or until it stops working.  So, keeping my heart healthy is a priority.

Reason 2 to get on the treadmill:  Those 20 odd pounds I lost during my summer of chemo have been sneaking back up on me.  I had gone down a size (had to buy all new clothes; yet another unexpected expense of cancer) and gave away those bigger clothes -- because, by God, I will not fit in them again!  Well, now my current clothes are becoming a little snugger, my face is looking a little fuller, my second chin is becoming more apparent.  I would very much like to see those 20 odd pounds leave again, and then some (a lot).

Reason 3 to get on the treadmill:  I know that exercising regularly will give me energy, something that I sorely lack.  I know that once I get started, the energy will come.  The problem is, I have no energy to get on and get started.  That's where the Catch-22 comes in.  I need to break through it.  It's so much easier to get out of bed and go directly to the blue recliner with some knitting, a book, a coloring book, and the tv remote.  That's usually what I do on weekend days, resting up from a week of work.  My plan was to get started on Wednesday, which was the first day of this five day weekend.  Did I?  Well, I'll let that day slide as I had an emergency dental appointment which resulted in a five hour root canal and the rest of the day resting up from that ordeal, and the pain I was still in.  But I digress....  Thursday morning, no treadmill.  Friday morning, no treadmill.  Here it is Saturday, and I'm feeling as rested as I think I'll be for the time being.  So I did it.

At my request, the boys brought our scale downstairs so that I can use it again.  I wasn't surprised at what I saw when I stepped on it this morning.  Now, I've noticed a pattern in my day.  I know that I have the most energy in the morning, and by lunchtime the energy starts to wane.  By late afternoon, I'm ready for the blue recliner.  I know that if I want to do this, I need to do it in the morning, before I get too tired.  Today's the day to start.  No more putting it off.  Starting off, I'm not even going to start with the Couch25K app.  I am under no illusions that it would go well.  It's been quite some time since I've exerted much energy, so starting off slow seems to be a good plan, I think.  My intention was to walk slowly for one hour.  That's how I lost weight before, walking slower for longer distances  as opposed to walking faster/running for shorter distances.  So, I started out at 2mph.  Slow, I know.  I lasted thirty minutes.  But, hey, it's a start, right?!  My goal is to walk faster and/or longer each time.  Eventually I'll start the interval walking/running, but for now I'm psyched that I was able to do what I did this morning.   Using this fabulous shaker/water tumbler that my nephew and his wife gave to me certainly helps.  :)  I think I can aspire to be Wonder Woman again.  Wish me luck, my friends.  Heart healthy is the goal, weight loss will be an added bonus.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃