Notes From the Infusion Chair, and Then Some

Today is maintenance infusion #60. When you're a metastatic patient, you don't count down your treatments. You count up, and hope and pray you get to a very high number.  Once your viable treatments end, so then, does your life.

I was a little worried about getting to the hospital for my appointments today.  We had a snow storm yesterday.  Everything was closed.  Schools, local and federal government, local bus service, lots of businesses.   Snow turned to ice turned to rain.  I was worried driving myself, not just because I wouldn't be able to take my Xanax as I'm supposed to, but I was afraid that the roads would be icy/slushy/slick at 6am when I needed to leave.  Luckily my husband has an understanding boss, and was okay with Jimmy dropping me off on his way to work.  It's quite a detour, but it's the best option we have most times.  Jimmy was about an hour and a half late for work today to do that for me.

The Circle of Life

Jimmy dropped me off at the main entrance of the hospital, and it gave me a bit of deja vu.  I had flashbacks of driving my father to this same hospital, dropping him off at the same entrance, unloading his wheelchair from the trunk of the car (while pregnant).  Sometimes when my son drives me, I get the same sense of deja vu, but it's more surreal,  as it's my son dropping off his parent, as I was dropping off my parent.  Melancholy is the sense I'm trying to give you here.

In the Chair

It's 10:30am.  I'm currently in Bay 7, one of the few with a window.  I have a view of the construction of the new emergency room/surgical center happening in the parking lot I used to park in.  Not the best view, but a view nonetheless.  It's interesting to see the progress they're making.  Sunshine is coming in through the open blinds, and I can people watch.  Each bay is curtained off, has a nice recliner for the patients, a side chair for a visitor, and a TV.  My TV is tuned to channel 8, which here at the hospital is one of two C.A.R.E. channels.  I prefer the one with just music, not the guided meditation one.  It plays nice relaxing music, and shows short video clips of nature scenes.  Serene.

I've been here since a little before 8:00am.  I had 8:00 on my calendar, but I remembered my appointment being at 8:30.  To err on the side of being early rather than late, I planned for 8:00.  There was a little delay while they got my orders straightened out, but that's not unusual.  It doesn't happen often, but still not unusual.  After being called back, vitals taken, port accessed (painlessly, thank goodness), blood taken for ordered blood work (so glad they can use the port for that), Zofran was started.  10:15 the first of my two meds were started.   It's now 10:45, and my nurse just switched over to the second medication.  I'll be done here in about a half an hour.

Between Appointments

My next appointment is with Dr. Grant, my ENT.  It's a follow-up.  She'll spray a numbing agent into my throat through my nose, then put a camera there to take a look.  I had gone to see her originally about my trouble swallowing.  At the first appointment, she noticed some polyps on the left side of my throat, which could account for food getting stuck on the right side of my throat as I try to swallow it.  She prescribed Prilosec, and advised me to stop consuming caffeine, as well as acidic foods/drinks.  So, I've switched to decaf coffee, and have only the occasional Coke, acidic fruits, tomato based sauces.  I've switched to decaf for coffee, and Alfredo sauce for pizza and pasta.  It hasn't been as difficult a change as I had imagined it to be.

That appointment is about an hour from now, so after I left the infusion chair, I wandered the hospital a bit getting some steps in.  I found a labyrinth outside, on the second floor of the CCC building.  It was just a little chilly out, but with my shawl, it was just fine.






                                         This was also outside, near the labyrinth.

As of 12:45pm, I've exceeded my goal of 3500 steps.  I'm contemplating increasing my goal by 500 steps again, to 4000.  I think it's time.  As an aside, I had a regular every-four-month appointment with my primary care physician two days ago.  He had nothing but good things to say.  We're approaching the four year anniversary of my cancer diagnosis, and he is impressed at the way my body has responded to treatment.  He said that I'm one of the rare lucky ones to have been stable on the same meds for so long.  My latest blood work that he ordered looks great.  My echocardiogram shows that my heart is in great shape.  He jokingly said, "I keep looking for bad things, but everything looks good!"  He said that the cancer part of my health has been stable and well for so long now, it's time to concentrate on "normal" stuff; in my instance, losing weight.  That's always been difficult for me, but apparently since my last visit to him I've dropped a few pounds.  Walking has historically worked for me, so now it's time to up my game.  4000 steps per day from now on it is.  When I start doing that consistently, I'll up it by 500 again.

So, here I am with a little time before my next appointment.  I've found a comfy chair in a waiting room with a table where I'll eat the sandwich and chips I brought with me (hospital food is expensive; I learned long ago to pack my lunch when I'm here all day).  In case you're wondering, today it's a chicken salad sandwich with sour cream and onion potato chips.  😋

After ENT Appointment

It's now just after 3:00pm.  I'm sitting in a chair near the main entrance waiting for Jimmy to pick me up.  Checking my step  count for the day, I'm at 5736, and we have one more stop to make before heading home.  No wonder these days exhaust me.

My appointment with Dr. Grant went well.  She does see a polyp on the right side this time.  These could be caused by reflux, stress, etc.  She assured me that it's not pre-cancerous.  She suggests that I continue taking Prilosec and limit caffeine and acidic foods/drinks, and come back for a checkup in six months.  It's always good when the time between appointments gets extended.


Home at Last

It's now 8:40pm, and past my bedtime.  After Jimmy picked me up, we didn't come straight home.  I'm due for a new breast prosthesis and mastectomy bras, and the nearest store that I've found so far that takes my insurance is in Annapolis.  With their hours, it's hard to get to.  So, we drove the hour out there, I got fitted, picked some things out to order, and then we were on our way home.  It took longer than it should have because on the way there we took the wrong exit and there wasn't an easy way to turn around, then about five minutes after we left I realized that I'd left my old prosthesis there.  Luckily she was still there, even though it was after closing time.  Back to the store we go, then finally get on the road to home.

For the record, my final step count for today is 6303.

If you count your steps, what is your target/goal each day?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃