Gym Recap -- January 2020

New year, same me, striving to become a stronger, better person.

This is when I vowed to get in at least thirty minutes of some kind of exercise per day, really shooting for sixty minutes.  This will be, as for now, a combination of walking, either on the treadmill or outside in good weather; the recumbent bike at the gym; and weight training at the gym.  I'm working with Julie once per week now, and my goal is to get to the gym for weight training at least one other time by myself.  It's hard for me to do that; I don't know why.  I think after a few more times I'll feel more confident and get it done.

January 1 -- As I had stayed in bed all day yesterday, I really wanted to get out and walk.  I've gotten to the point that I just don't feel right if I haven't done anything active during the day ... even on those days that I stay in bed all day.  So, during the warmest part of the day in the afternoon, I went for a walk around my neighborhood.  It lasted just under an hour; I walked from my house, around the lake (really a big pond) three times, and back to my house.  It was a little chilly with the wind, but still warm enough to be out.
January 2 -- I had my gym bag packed ready to go after work.  As I walked out of work to my car, though, I realized it was another relatively warm day ... warm enough to walk outside.  So I went home, changed, and walked around the neighborhood.  Instead of walking around the lake, I thought I'd walk around the circle and see how long it is.  My bladder had other ideas, though.  I got about three-quarters of the way around when it decided it was time to go straight home.  So I detoured on the paths to get me home quick.  Another just-under-an-hour walk.  I realize with today and yesterday's walk that I walk faster when I'm outside than when I'm inside on the treadmill.  Hmm....

January 3 -- "It doesn't matter how tired I am -- only if I'm falling down tired will I not walk today."  I said this to my friend/co-worker as I arrived at work this morning.  We laughed.  I had two cups of caffeinated coffee today (I usually drink decaf).  We walked after work until I needed to leave a few minutes earlier than planned to drive my son back to school so he could watch his friend's swim meet.  (If you didn't already know this -- he has anxiety pretty bad and rarely leaves the house; so when he asks to go somewhere, I do my best to make it happen.)  So, it was another 50 minute walk today.  I'm sensing a pattern here....

January 4 & 5 -- I woke up Saturday morning with pretty bad lower back pain.  I spent the whole of the weekend in bed until I was able to get up to make dinner Sunday night.

January 6 -- This evening my son had his first driver's ed class, which a parent needs to stay for.  As Jimmy was still returning from his neurology appointment, I was the lucky one!  So, just enough time after work to grab a bite to eat and get him down to CSM for his class.  We didn't get home until just before 10pm.  Way past my bedtime.

January 7 -- Jimmy went with me to drop David at driver's ed tonight, and we ran some errands while waiting for 9pm to pick him up.

January 8 -- No driver's ed tonight.  I got some walking in at the grocery store.

January 9 -- See the first paragraph above where I vowed to get in at least 30 minutes per day?  Yeah, hasn't happened.  You can see my blog post from today about that here: Conflicted Emotions.  There was no exercising today.

January 10 -- I woke up recharged this morning.  Detail explanation here: Recharged.

January 11 -- Treatment day.

January 12 -- This morning I woke up to my husband needed to go to the ER.  His leg is swollen and turning red.  Last time it was like that there was a small blood clot.  There was no sign of a blood clot today, so they sent him home with antibiotics and instructions to see his primary care physician as soon as possible.

January 13 -- I dropped David off at his driver's ed class in the evening, then went to the gym.  I had hoped to get in an hour each of the recumbent bike and the treadmill, but I got in thirty minutes each.  I'll take it.


So, here it is January 29th.  I haven't logged anything in since the 13th.  It's been a very busy few weeks.  I've gone to the gym, and walking after work, when I could, but not as much as I would have liked to.  I spent a day (part of a night) on two separate occasions in the emergency room with my husband.  I've been staying up late most nights getting David to and from his Driver's Ed class.  I've been taking Jimmy to run errands.  We've done the grocery shopping together.  This past Thursday I started feeling not so well at work, and it got worse as the day went on.  The area around my port hurt a little, too, but that could be just because it had been accessed two days before.  It still had me a little worried, though, as we're always on the lookout for infection.  So, I visited our wonderful school nurse.  My temperature was okay, and my blood pressure was a little high.  She did tell me that she's seen a lot of colds come through.  I went to bed as soon as I went home, with NyQuil and Zicam in case it was a cold.  I woke up Friday morning just long enough to email that I wouldn't be in to work.  I felt much better Saturday morning.  So, either Zicam is a miracle worker, as colds usually have me down for a week, or it was just pure exhaustion.  Thinking back, I'm thinking it was exhaustion.  It's been an unusually busy month.


February 4.  Friday the 31st was treatment day.  I spent the weekend in bed nauseous and achy. February.is also going to be busy after work, but not nearly as busy as January was.  I have one more session with Julie scheduled (make-up from last week's one that had to be rescheduled).  After that, I will still try to get to the gym as much as possible.  Twice a week strength training, using the guidelines Julie has set out for me, and walking and biking as much as possible.  I have also learned a bit about preparing healthy vegetables, instead of just opening a can to heat up on the stove.  As I'm able now to take on the grocery shopping and the cooking (most days), I'm going to start trying new things.  I've already been using my Penzey's spices.  Sunny Paris is my favorite, with Mural of Flavor coming in a close second.  I put them on everything!  They have replaced salt, pepper, and ketchup for me.  They are amazing.

So, I'll do my best to achieve my goals and to stay on track.  Life has been getting in the way so much lately.  I think now it'll ease off a bit and I can get back to it.  Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃