Working While Having Cancer

We were all shocked to wake up this morning to the news that Chadwick Boseman had died of cancer. We didn't even know he had cancer. I am very vocal about my disease; not everyone is. It's a personal choice. 

 I've been reading that people are surprised that he worked through it. He worked while he was receiving cancer treatments. That surprises people. The fact that it surprises people surprises me. Look around you -- there are plenty of us going through cancer treatment and still working, even Stage 4 cancer. 🙋‍♀️ It can be incredibly difficult. We have good days, and we have bad days. We put our best face on at work, but ... we are exhausted. We break down more often than you know. We "need a moment"... a lot. For instance, most days during class changes (I work in a high school) instead of standing in the hallway like I'm supposed to, I turn my chair around and close my eyes for a minute or two. When I get home from work I collapse on the bed and sleep until dinnertime, then am asleep again for the night by usually by 9pm. 

My point is ... I guess I really don't know what my point is. I really think I had one, but ... chemo brain. 

PS: Don't judge. I saw a news article that said that when Mr. Boseman had lost a lot of weight people assumed he was on drugs. He actually was on chemo. You remember what Felix Unger said about assuming, don't you? 


There it is. My point. We work. We live. We love. We exist in the world with you. The alternative is to lay down and wait to die, and who wants to do that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃