Gym -- Week 10 Recap

Monday -- I had an appointment at the hospital this afternoon for port evaluation and possible replacement.  I thought it would be perfect for me to go to the gym and tire myself out so I would be too tired to be anxious about the IV insertion (it's always difficult).  But ... I was not to eat or drink anything, including water, after 8:30am.  Workouts can't happen without water, so no gym for me today.  As it turns out, the IV placement wasn't so bad, and the port did get replaced.


Tuesday --  Today was spent in bed ... all ... day.


Wednesday --  I managed to get down to the gym for my 9:00am appointment with Julie.  We repeated Saturday's new workout, taking it easy when necessary.  Feeling pretty good, I got on the treadmill afterwards.  I managed 15 minutes upping the speed from 2.2 to 2.3 then to 2.4, pumping my arms.  Pumping my arms was a mistake.  The incision area from the procedure the other day started to bother me, so time to get home and take some Advil.  The rest of the day was spent folding laundry, putting dishes away (generally doing whatever housework I could), knitting and resting.


Thursday --  Not such a good day today.  I woke up not feeling well.  If it had been work, I would have seriously considered calling in sick.  But for an hour at the gym, I figured I would get there and do as much as I can.  With this mindset, I wondered why I was so upset when I couldn't finish the session.  Julie was incredible.  She told me that this was just a blip in the radar.   When I got home, I woke my older son (he's an EMT) who took my vitals.  He said I looked pale.  I had a low grade fever, chills, sore throat, congested throat, cough (I thought was from the sore, congested throat) and a killer headache.  The post procedure instructions from Monday had a list of symptoms to call them about, chills being one.  My son called and spoke with a nurse practitioner there, who said it seems that I'm just coming down with something, because of the combined symptoms and the fact that the incision site looks great.  She gave instructions that if I'm not feeling better by morning to go see my primary care physician.  So, I spent the rest of the day in bed with NyQuil and ice water within reach.

You know those 3am thoughts?  Mine was at 1:45 or so.  I think the reason I was so upset to not finish the session is that I was back to feeling sick.  For the whole summer, I didn't feel sick.  I had started doing things just like everybody else -- stepping up curbs, walking up/down stairs, not using a walker, going upstairs to switch the laundry.  It felt soooo good, not feeling sick.  Now here I was feeling sick again.  ☹️

Then I had another revelation.  This is the portion of the program when it gets hard.  Monday marks my first day back to work after summer break.  This is when I need to stop treating this like my job (as I have all summer) and incorporate it into my life.  The first week back to work is filled with food.  Breakfast provided the first day, donuts the second, food trucks available for lunch, etc.  Not just the first week, but my daily life -- bringing lunches, snacks, etc.  Also getting to the gym.  Generally I am exhausted at the end of the work day, and after going to the gym.   Combining the two seems daunting.  I just need to resolve to get to the gym straight after work and before I go home.  I know it's doable -- it's totally doable.  It's just going to be an adjustment.


Friday --  Rest day.  Doctor's orders.


Saturday --  Another rest day.  At least I'm getting some knitting in.  Sigh....


Sunday --  What little energy I had today was spent getting my things ready for work, and hauling it all to my classroom.  Tomorrow starts a new chapter in this book (combining work and working out).  I just hope it's a happy chapter.  🌝


Monday morning weigh-in shows a 2.75lb gain.  I'm still looking at a net 9.75lb loss since I started on June 17.  I'm not worried about it; I know it will reverse.  This was a bad week -- the first one.  Here's looking to a better week next week.

Non-scale victories -- the only new one I have this week is that while I was out at Target on Sunday, I had to constantly hitch up my pants!


Thoughts:  Was the week of sleep due to port replacement recovery, a nasty cold, still recovering from the week and a half vacation a few weeks ago (still need to blog about that!), or recovering from going to the gym on a regular basis since June?  IDK, but I'm sure it's a combination of all.  This is what happens when you're a terminal cancer patient.  You trade good days for bad, constantly.  Most of the time it's totally worth it.





Read next:  Gym -- Week 11 Recap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃