Gym -- Week 8 Recap

On vacation this week.  Monday through Thursday we're in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee with Leslie's Week, who grants retreat vacations for metastatic breast cancer patients and their families.  Friday is a travel day, Saturday we're in Clearwater, Florida for my sister's wedding, and Sunday is a travel day to home.


Monday -- Today was filled with activities with the Leslie's Week group, so no formal exercise.  I did walk a bit.  Our hotel room is pretty far way from the elevator, but right next to the stairs.  I've been walking up and down the stairs more.  We're one flight up from the lobby, but two from the bottom level with the exit to the pool and where the fitness center is.  I walked up two flights; had to rest in the middle of the second flight.  One flight I can do without stopping.


Tuesday --  This morning while the boys slept in, I went down to the fitness center at the hotel.   I did what exercises I could with barbells and a bench.  Some I couldn't do, as the equipment wasn't there.  It was tough, but it felt good.  I was worried that I'd lose what I've accomplished so far if I didn't get anything done.  I took the two flights of stairs back up to the room, which amounted to 48 stairs.  I went slow, like I was on the slowest speed of the stairclimber at the gym.




We went to the new SkyBridge, and I walked up all the stairs (I forgot to count how many) and then across the bridge.  I got a little over halfway across the bridge before deciding that the whole bridge was too much, so I turned around and walked back.  I wouldn't have been able to do that with my walker.

Here's a video I took on the bridge:



In the evening, we drove through the Smoky Mountains, up to Clingman's Dome, which is the highest point in the mountains.  Two years ago when I was here with my oldest son, I didn't attempt to go up to the observation deck; I stayed in the parking lot and enjoyed the view from there.  This year, with my boys' encouragement and help, I did it.  It was difficult.  It's a half mile uphill.  I stopped and rested at least five times, but I made it to the top!  Oh, what a feeling that is! I thought that they way down would be easier, and it was ... but it was still difficult.  I had to stop a few times to rest on the way down.

This is the route from the parking lot to the top of the viewing area.  The blue dot to the green dot.  It's a half mile up hill.

Then it was up this:


That ended up here:



For this view:


Totally worth it!

...and then it was time to walk down.



I ended up getting in an even 11,000 steps today.  What?!  Wow.



Wednesday --  Today was a planned day at a local farm/preserve.  I ended up with 8,419 steps.  Not too bad.


Thursday -- Today we went to DollyWood Theme Park.  I got 9,575 steps today.


Friday --  Today was a travel day. 


Saturday --  Today I attended my sister's wedding and spent some time in the pool.  No substantial exercising.


Sunday --  Travel day.


Monday morning weigh-in [no weigh-in this week]

Non-scale victories
-- I took the stairs
-- It was more comfortable sitting with my legs crossed
-- I walked a half mile up a mountain that I couldn't do two years ago!
-- I was able to send this to Julie:


Read next:  Gym -- Week 9 Recap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

It's Time for the Pall of Death to Move to the Back of the Bus