Gym -- October 2019 Recap

This is the first of my monthly updates.  I had previously done weekly updates, but as I've made lifestyle changes (hopefully permanent), the updates were becoming almost the same every week.  I've fallen into a routine -- I'm working out with Julie twice a week, I'm walking with friends after work twice a week, I'm walking a day or two on my own, and I'm taking yoga classes as I can.


September 30 (Monday) --  I went to the gym after work today.  30 minutes on the recumbent bike followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill.

October 1 (Tuesday) -- I walked for an hour after work today.

October 2 (Wednesday) -- I spent the morning in the emergency room with my husband, who was having severe back pain.  No exercising, unless you want to count walking through CVS twice to drop off/pick up his prescription, and grocery shopping for dinner ingredients.

October 3 (Thursday) --  I'm not gonna lie, this was the first time the "I don't want to go to the gym" thought crossed my mind.  It's not that I didn't want to go to the gym, but I even more strongly wanted to go home and snuggle under the covers in bed.  I ended up having a great workout with Julie.  She upped the weights on a few of the exercises.  It feels so great to be able to do that!  That means progress, my friends.  Progress.

October 4 (Friday) -- It's been a long, tiring week.  I left work with an upset stomach and a headache.  No exercising today.  Today I actually did go straight home and snuggle under the covers.

October 5 (Saturday) -- Another fabulous workout with Julie at the gym.  At her suggestion, I followed it up with a bit of treadmill time to round out the hour.

October 6 (Sunday) -- Did a bit of housework and then rested/napped for the rest of the day.

Monday morning weight loss for the week -- 1.5lbs


October 7 (Monday) -- I had a session with Julie this evening.  Every few weeks she switches up my routine.  Tonight was the last night for this particular routine.  Her face, though, when she was talking about what she was planning for the next phase of this adventure.  Her excitement was contagious!  I ended up walking for an hour on the treadmill after, and had legit tears in my eyes on the way home.  That may sound a little sappy, but seriously -- Four years ago I pretty much slept through the summer while going through chemo.  Since then, I've slept as much as I could.  I went from walking next to walls (so I could catch myself if I stumbled) and not being able to walk up stairs to using a cane to using a walker (and sometimes a wheelchair if needed).  The natural progression of that is to end up in a wheelchair full time.  To now be able to not use those mobility aides, and to actually do the things I'm doing is mind blowing.  Just mind blowing.

October 8 (Tuesday) -- Another session with Julie.  We've stepped it up.  At the beginning, in June, we concentrated on stability.  If you remember, my very first exercise was literally walking heel/toe in a straight line.  After stability, we concentrated on strength.  Now, we've stepped it up to power, adding cardio.  I had my doubts, but Julie didn't.  We do a strength exercise followed by cardio over and over.  The idea is to get my heart rate up and down, up and down, up and down, which is exactly what my cardiologist wants.  The first cardio exercise I did tonight was jumping jacks.  You should have seen the first few!  Talk about uncoordinated!  With Julie's guidance, I finally remembered how to do them and managed 10, then 12.  I also held the [medicine?] ball over my head, slammed it on the ground, and caught it, over and over.  Man, did that feel good.  She also had me pushing the sled, which is another one I thought was out of my league.  It was tough, especially at the end, but so satisfying!  I'll see Julie again on Monday for the second new workout.  I can't wait to see what she has in store for me.





October 9 (Wednesday) -- The plan was to walk after work but I ended up having to leave work early as my 18 year old son was taken to the emergency room (he's fine; it was dehydration and a bit of a panic attack).





October 10 (Thursday) -- I had an event to go to in the evening, so I didn't do any exercising after work.  I did walk around National Harbor for about three hours getting pictures of the Capital Wheel, which was lit up in METAvivor colors.  Here's my favorite.










October 11 (Friday) -- I walked with a co-worker/friend for about an hour after work today.

October 12 (Saturday) -- In anticipation of staying out later than usual for our wedding anniversary, I rested up until we went out to dinner.

October 13 (Sunday) -- Slept all day.

Monday morning weight loss for the week -- I actually gained one pound.  This gain may have something to do with my Anniversary dinner Saturday night, and the resulting sleeping all day on Sunday (no water drinking or exercising).


October 14 (Monday) --  Monday evening workout with Julie.  I threw a medicine ball at the wall ... and caught it.  Over and over and over again.  Satisfying.

October 15 (Tuesday) -- An hour of yoga after work  Who knew yoga made you sweat?!

October 16 (Wednesday) -- An hour of walking after work.

October 17 (Thursday) --An hour of walking after work, followed by cleaning the kitchen, then going through some boxes to de-clutter.  Whew!

October 18 (Friday) -- A session with Julie.  Jumping jacks and pushing that sled again.  Tough, but feels great.

October 19 (Saturday) -- Treatment day.  After treatment, I felt pretty good, so my husband and I went to a few museums on our way home, and got quite a bit of walking in.

October 20 (Sunday) --Slept all day.  This is usual after treatment.

Monday morning weight loss for the week -- 3lbs



October 21 (Monday) -- Still not feeling well from Saturday's treatment; no exercising.

October 22 (Tuesday) -- Nausea hit hard today; no exercising.

October 23 (Wednesday) -- Walked for about an hour after work with friends/co-workers, then had a session with Julie.  I love throwing that ball at the wall!

October 24 (Thursday) -- Doctor's appointment after work today.

October 25 (Friday) -- Worn out from the week, so I went straight home to bed.

October 26 (Saturday) -- Had a great session with Julie this morning.   The jumping jacks are coming a little easier, as it standing/sitting while holding the bar behind my neck.  The sled might take a few more times.  😉  While I was slamming the medicine ball down, I imagined my cancer cells on the spot it was landing.  💪

October 27 (Sunday) -- Seriously nauseous and puky.  No exercising today.

Monday morning weight loss for the week -- 2.75lbs   I weighed in at 199.75.  It finally happened.  I was finally able to move the scale below 200!  I haven't been able to do that since before my now 22 year old son was born.  I seriously feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone here.




October 28 (Monday) --  Still not feeling well.  Home straight to bed after work.

October 29 (Tuesday) --  My husband had a procedure at the hospital this morning.  We left the house at 4:30am, and got back home around ______pm.  No formal exercising today; just walking around the hospital.

October 30 (Wednesday) -- I walked for an hour after work today.

October 31 (Thursday) -- Great workout with Julie this evening.  No Halloween candy stealing today!


Non-scale victories for the month
-- I've realized that I have been able to mesh my work days with working out.  I generally will either stay after work to walk or take a yoga class, or go straight to the gym after work.  I still go straight to bed when I get home, but it's later in the day.  #winning
-- I'm walking more smoothly down the stairs.  At first, I would walk down sideways, one step at a time.  After working with Julie, I was able to start walking forward down the stairs, still one step at a time.  I've noticed that I'm now not stopping on every step, but walking more fluidly.  It's still not seamless, but it will be soon I think.
-- The day I took my husband to the emergency room, I grocery shopped for dinner, prepared dinner, and cleaned up from dinner.  I also sat in the living room with my husband until 9pm watching television.  I usually am in bed by six or seven, sometimes earlier, and eat dinner in bed, so this was huge!
-- On the way home from the gym a few nights, I stopped at the grocery store for dinner items, prepared dinner when I got home, and prepared lunch for my husband and I for the next day.
-- Not climbing in to bed until at least 7pm.
-- I can now pull my pants legs up over my knees to pull my socks up.
-- I can see cheek bones!
-- I can do yoga now.  I lose my balance a bit, but I'm doing it!
-- A student did a double take and said, "You look great!  Cute!"
-- A friend/fellow gym member said to Julie, "She looks great!"
-- Being able to walk briskly down the hallway, without dragging the walker with me.

I not only have met the goals that I set out back in June, but I have surpassed my pre-diagnosis abilities!  I am able to do things now that I never have been able to, even before cancer.  Family and friends, I seriously feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone here.  New goals are being set.  I have lost 20 pounds, and I'd like to do that again two or three more times.  Losing weight is not a goal that works for me, though, it's secondary to the goals that I set.  I am so excited to be making this transformation!  Thank you all for your encouragement, and for celebrating with me.  Stay tuned for more....  💖


Read next:  November 2019 Recap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃