Notes From the Infusion Chair -- January 31, 2020

Today is a routine appointment at the clinic, as well as a treatment day.  My oncologist is out of the country, so my appointment today was with another doctor.  My doctor is due back next week, so my next appointment will be with her.  I'm so glad she'll be back.  Nothing against the two different people I've seen at my most recent appointments, but I miss my doctor.

The appointment today went smoothly.   She went over the results of my latest CT scan, bone scan, and echo. Everything is stable.  She sent my prescriptions to the pharmacy.  All in all, an uneventful appointment.  On the way out, I was able to schedule future appointments, through December.   My oncologist books up quickly.   It feels good to have them scheduled so far in advance.

As I sit in the  waiting room of the infusion center, I can't help but remember my first few times here.  Man, was I scared.  I distinctly  remember one of those times -- as I waited to be called back, a woman walked past, trailing an IV pole.   She walked with her head held high, and she seemed to me to be very confident and strong.   I remember thinking, as I slouched in my chair and leaned on my husband, that I would never be like that.  Today, I think I am.  Today I see the scared looks on the faces of some of the other patients waiting with me.  Some have people with them, some don't.  I want to tell them that although it might always be scary,  you don't always feel it; you don't always show it.  Sure, sometimes I curl up in a ball in the infusion chair, but sometimes I don't.   Today is one of the sit up tall days.

I spent my time in the infusion chair chatting with Brandy, who I request if she's there.   Brandy and I always share dog stories and recent doggo pictures.  Brandy wasn't my nurse today, though; a nurse new to the infusion center was.  It was a little rough getting the port accessed, but we got good blood return right away.  I got some knitting in, too, and a little bit of reading.  I love that I can borrow digital books from the library.

After infusion, I dropped off an envelope to Jimmy's neurologist, then went to the parking office and bought some more parking passes (infusion patients get a cut rate -- frequent flyers, I guess).  On my way back to my car, I stopped at Starbuck's for a little caffeine for the way home.  I have enough money on my gift card for maybe two more.  When that runs out, I'm thinking it'll be warm enough that I can make iced coffee the night before and bring it in a thermos for the drive home.  Genuis!  I might not even wait until it runs out -- I'll try it next time.  Anyway, Starbuck's had a new smoked butterscotch latte.  I love butterscotch, but not smokey flavor.  It was pretty good.  I don't know that I'll get it again, though.  Non-smoked butterscotch is more to my taste.  I think I'll stick with my white chocolate mocha.

So here it is, coming up on 7pm.  I'm in bed exhausted, and a little nauseous.  I need to get to sleep soon, because I need to get up early in the morning for my last session with Julie, followed by needing to take David to his last driver's ed driving session.  Then I sleep for the rest of the weekend.

On a side note, I love the scenery on my drive to and from the hospital.  Here's a peek at the Kennedy Center from my drive home today:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Do You Do It?!"

Thanksgiving 🦃